Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Fitness Biggest barrier to working out
TOPIC: Biggest barrier to working out
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Start   51 to 60 of 105   End
User Details are only visible to members.
frnz,

If they were coming in the afternoon, I would think they came for work but not at 8am in the morning.

Shibby,

I guess I am confused. I didn't see where anyone claimed it was the woman's fault.

Carrie

Corpus Christi TX
Username hidden
(18046 posts)
I agree that it is more a persons actions that say why they are at the gym... Not how they look. Before putting in a home gym I worked out at a local gym and the best time to go for me was right after work. Therefore, I was one of those women there with full makeup on. Although by the time I was done, most of that makeup was gone or streaking down my face. :)

Apollo PA
Username hidden
(753 posts)
Yes, shibby. Actions do speak louder than words. The full make up girls, I see, are walking around the gym, not even sweating. Which is why I thought they weren't there to work out. It doesn't matter to me. If they want to spend that much a month in hopes of finding a husband or whatever, that is cool.

Carrie

Corpus Christi TX
Username hidden
(18046 posts)
By the way, on the topic of women 'bulking up' from using free weights: well, it depends on what your definition of 'bulked up' is, I suppose. A former teammate of mine holds several all-time world records for women's powerlifting in the 123lb and 132lb weight classes. She also competes in CrossFit on a regular basis. She's anything but 'bulky'.

Similarly, a current teammate of mine -- a 50-year-old mother of 3 -- holds several records as well, and she's got the body of a woman about half her age.

Can you see musculature on both of them? Of course. Is it big, bulky, or otherwise bulging? No. At least, not in my opinion. They don't even look like contest-ready figure competitors. At best, they look like athletic women, and are about as "bulky" as a female runner, and roughly as defined muscularly.

Bear in mind these two women have been training for strength for over a decade each, and routinely move weights that average men would balk at (e.g., I watched my current teammate squat around 400 lbs last night. For a woman who's 123lbs and about 5'3", that's pretty damned good. I know a lot of men who can't do that).

These women move very heavy weights multiple times a week, do so competitively, and are among the top in their weight class worldwide. I sincerely doubt someone who goes to the gym recreationally and does free-weight routines directed by a personal trainer has anything to worry about.

Oakland CA
Username hidden
(84 posts)
@tbrmskss: People who are on HGH will sometimes use insulin, as an insulin spike post-workout promotes the uptake of post-workout nutrients into the muscles, increasing the effectiveness of the HGH.

Also, people who have just cut a lot of weight for a competition (and here, I'm discussing strength competitors, not bodybuilders) will sometimes take insulin immediately post-weigh-in to help replenish the body. There are people (I know several) who can drop 30-40lbs in a week or less simply by manipulating their water and sodium intake, diuretic intake, and doing things like spending several hours in saunas.

Needless to say, this is very hard on the body. Taking insulin right after you've weighed in while eating a lot of carbs and electrolytes can help return the body to a more normal state more quickly. You'll see this a lot with pro-level competitors who're trying to set national or world records in a given weight class, and who have only 2-4 hours between weigh-in and competition. (some competitions allow 24-48 hour weigh-ins, and it's less prevalent there).

Then again, people who abuse post-weigh-in insulin are also typically the ones abusing things like Lasix pre-weigh-in in order to achieve a certain weight.

Of course, things like insulin abuse can kill, so anyone doing this does their level best to learn as much as possible about proper timing and dosing.

Please note that when I say things like insulin and Lasix can kill, I mean it quite literally, not in the sense of "steroids can kill you!" The best the medical community could argue for in the case of AAS would be things like heart attacks or an enlarged heart (though an enlarged heart -- along with other enlarged internal organs -- is much more prevalent among those abusing HGH).

But people who don't know what they're doing with insulin or Lasix can very quickly end up in a coma, or in total respiratory or renal failure.

...and then there are things like T3 abuse, which can cause permanent liver damage.

Oakland CA
Username hidden
(84 posts)
Shibby,

I have seen women who come to my gym in full make up. I could see a little blush and lip gloss but full make up. Some how I doubt they are truly there to workout.

Carrie

Corpus Christi TX
Username hidden
(18046 posts)
anythingthatmoves... I have to say I am really learning a lot via your posts! Some of this stuff I had never even heard of.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(2626 posts)
Yeah, I don't understand. I have been on insulin for years now, and it often makes me feel like shit.

Why would someone want to feel like shit voluntarily???

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17438 posts)
corticosteroids and anabolic-androgenic steroids (AAS) are two completely different things.

Bodybuilders (and others) abuse not just AAS and HGH, but nor-19 and 17aa steroids, prescription diuretics (e.g., Lasix), PDE5 inhibitors, insulin, prolactin antagonizers, DHT inhibitors, aromatase inhibitors, prescription blood pressure medication, prescription acne treatments, painkillers, etc.

In fairness, however, some of these (partcularly the inhibitors, antagonizers, BP meds and acne treatments) are used to counteract the effects of the AAS, and people who do their research are probably about as knowledgeable about them as medical professionals, and pay for periodic blood tests out of their own pockets to verify that their liver, kidney, and heart are remaining healthy. The level of chemical and medical knowledge some of these people have would astound many people.

Other things, such as insulin and Lasix, are used solely to manipulate bodyweight, and are typically the leading cause of death among bodybuilders and others who attempt to drastically change their body composition.

The biggest health concerns folks on AAS for years have are sterility, high cholesterol, and high BP. There are people out there (e.g., Louie Simmons) who have been on obscene levels of AAS continuously for over 20 years. Except for fear-mongering among a few outspoken (politically-connected and inclined) doctors, ignorant politicians, and bereaved parents (whose child committed suicide while on antidepressants, yet the parents blame AAS), there's really not much out there truly negative about AAS, even at abusive levels. The medical journals just don't support the claims made in the media, and in fact show AAS can prevent prostate cancer, and that they are a boon to people suffering from various wasting diseases such as AIDS, or people undergoing chemotherapy.

Of course, the media and politicians have built such a huge fear about AAS that middle-aged men have significant trouble getting therapeutic doses of AAS for hormone replacement therapy (HRT/TRT), because doctors 1) buy into the fearmongering, and 2) are afraid of being seen as "prescribing steroids".

...which is a shame, because HRT can treat a wide variety of symptoms such as depression, lethargy, lack of libido, and so on.

Our society has a very strange double standard when it comes to hormone treatments: We'll prescribe women hormones at the drop of a hat, but for a man to get hormone therapy it almost literally takes an act of Congress.

BUT BASEBALL MUST BE PROTECTED!!!1!

Oakland CA
Username hidden
(84 posts)
I was thinking of testosterone (sp)

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(3976 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Start   51 to 60 of 105   End
TOPIC: Biggest barrier to working out