Biggest barrier to working out : Swingers Discussion 175078
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitnessBiggest barrier to working out
TOPIC: Biggest barrier to working out
Created by: rookiecpl390
Original Starting post for this thread:
Hello,

The worst part about geting off my butt and working out is the fact that I can't seem to meet and make friends in a gym. Everyone seems to be in their little clique, or totally into their own routine. I go to a gym to get in shape. I stay there if I make friends along the way.

I so need a workout buddy (or 2 or 3). I am located in central Massachusetts. If anyone out there wants to pair up and workout together (and hopefully motivate each other) please feel free to let us know.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 105   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Possibly. Except the men all weigh over 200 lbs, the women outlift most men, and the men are actually strong. :) "functional strength" for us is being able to move as much weight in the squat, bench, and dead as is humanly possible.

We don't have people wanting to look sexy or be toned; we've got guys who intentionally try to get their weight up to 308 lbs or beyond.

Oakland CA
Username hidden
(84 posts)
Chalk, cuss words, torn hands, hahaha, sounds like a CrossFit box to me.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(956 posts)
Honestly, at this point I refuse to train anywhere but private gyms. Our team has our own warehouse gym, which is only open to us, and only when we train. We turn the music way up, grunt, scream, cuss, spit, tell disgustingly dirty stories and jokes, and literally throw all-metal plates around.

There's chalk, blood, and bits of broken plate all over the place. And that's exactly how we like it.

Oakland CA
Username hidden
(84 posts)
I've heard that about some chain fitness centers - no grunting? I'd be thrown out for sure (if I could FIND decent bars/plates in a globo gym). Hell, some of those places probably throw you out if you sweat too much (j/k). Yeah, some of them are designed strictly for the cardio and "I only want to tone" workouts.

If there is no rubber mat or the plates are all metal, probably shouldn't be doing any O-lifting in that gym. But to ban standard core movements? Wow.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(956 posts)
I'm not so sure about that, south_vegas...most commercial chain gyms have some fairly strict rules regarding free weight use, including things like "no deadlifting" and "no chalk" (e.g., Gold's). Some (e.g., Planet Fitness) go so far as to kick you out if you grunt while lifting. They seem to want to cater to the cardio lovers and the clients of personal trainers who think the epitome of weightlifting is a one-legged bosu ball squat.

But yeah, offering to spot someone is a good way to meet training partners, assuming you're a good spotter. Some people (myself included) are rather particular about how people spot, though, so if you do go that route, it's a very good idea to find out exactly how the person you're spotting wants to be spotted.

Oakland CA
Username hidden
(84 posts)
Different gyms have different personalities. Sure, some are just a sweaty version of a nightclub (more likely to find girls in make-up and boys posing); but most are places for working out. If you lift weights then offering to spot someone is a great way to find a workout partner.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(956 posts)
I understand what you saying, I have met some friends at the gym and most at mine seem to have a friend or are really into it by themselves, I am a "loner" lol but am always happy to chat or have someone workout me but you have to find a motivation on your own, I use work as a motivation to relieve stress

Carrollton TX
Username hidden
(2 posts)
That is some serious shit and you were to be complimented....not that you "were looking for it."...lol! I just got back from a leg workout where I warmed up with leg extensions and lying leg culrs followed by dead lifts and step up lunges; I hit my lats with some pull downs and single arm rows and a few bicep curls and hammer curls. I wanted to hit the elliptical for at least 30 mins but my quads were done so I had a protein shake and some oatmeal; a shower and I am good! It is a good day! Cardio to be continued later today....oh, I did some waist twists when I got home and side bends for everlasting muffin top! I am eating my way to a six pack.....that's how you get it.

Vero Beach FL
Username hidden
(2962 posts)
Today at the base gym I went through my Crossfit workout while the 'boys' were pushing around a few weights or just standing around. I did 15 pullups (mostly sets of 2 at a time), 30 walking lunges, 15 push presses (single bar with 55# pushed up from shoulder to overhead) x 4 rounds. Afterwards a Navy guy came up to me and said "impressive pullups". Being complemented on my performance (not on my looks)....makes a gal feel good about herself.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(956 posts)
Ok Shibby, just got home from work and saw your post. You find a pole dancing class and I will be there!! Like Tom, I am sure mr. Frnz wouldn't be interested either.... Until we showed them what we learned of course :)

Apollo PA
Username hidden
(741 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 105   End
TOPIC: Biggest barrier to working out