1 muscle group a day : Swingers Discussion 174221
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsFitness1 muscle group a day
TOPIC: 1 muscle group a day
Created by: ChainMale
Original Starting post for this thread:
Ive been thinking of switching my workout routine, to 1 major muscle group a day, chest one day, back the next, triceps the next and then biceps, and working legs and abs in with that. Ive tried this before but was sore all the time, anyone have any advice on ways to combat the sorness? Right now I work back and biceps one day and then chest and triceps the next for a total of 4 days a week.

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 16   End
User Details are only visible to members.
To "anythingthatmoves" yes... I totally agree about the hydration thing... totally.

A few years ago when I used to hit the weights faithfully... I was a big pepsi drinker... hardly drank water... didn't taste good to me.

I would stay sore for week after working a muscle. Now.. after being down for a couple of years (snapped a bicept tendon lifting a boat onto a trailer) and got lazy... hehe

I've picked them back up. But this time I no longer have a pepsi taste and drink water all the time (now pepsi doesnt taste right)

I noticed I am hardly sore for maybe a day or 2 afterward... not all week. I didn't think about it until you said something just now.

Blythewood SC
Username hidden
(11 posts)
OK, you now have my complete undivided attention....... email to follow lol.

Lebanon PA
Username hidden
(69 posts)
You guys still going up to TJs in July?

Lebanon PA
Username hidden
(69 posts)
I think its working ;-)

Lebanon PA
Username hidden
(69 posts)
Oh I know, it just seemed like if I didnt work out each muscle group 2x's a week Id be sore all the time, but now with the 1 day heavy the other very light, Im good to go, I think I was over training, especially at my age ugh :-(

Lebanon PA
Username hidden
(69 posts)
Ive decided on Monday day, back and biceps real heavy, light cardio. Tuesday chest and triceps real heavy, and then legs on Wednesdays and Thursday just one set of back, biceps, abs and cardio, Friday day 1 set of Chest and Triceps, abs and cardio. Im not sore and Im seeing some nice gains.

Lebanon PA
Username hidden
(69 posts)
I should probably also mention that, unlike typical bodybuilder splits, doing max effort work with opposing muscle groups means you're going to need a few days to recover between workouts. My training cycles consist of 3 weeks training heavy two days a week (tue/thu) and light two days a week (sat/sun), for about 2-3 hours total each day. A typical heavy day is low volume (maybe only 6-8 reps above 90% max), high weight work; Tuesdays are upper body, so that's usually some barbell bench variant. Thursdays are lower body, so that's either a squat variant, deadlift variant, or good morning variant. Light days are to build speed and explosiveness, so it's lighter weight (50-60% max), more accomodating resistance, and a focus on speed/explosiveness using box squats or benching against bands and/or chains.

On all training days, I supplement the main lift with a second barbell movement with lighter weight/higher reps, and 2-4 other higher-rep accessories that target my current weaknesses in the bench, squat, or deadlift.

The fourth week is a deload week, where I avoid barbell movements and just do accessory work with lighter weights to get some blood flowing and help my CNS recover from the heavy training.

This is, at heart, a method known as conjugate training or the conjugate method. Rather than building muscle mass that's all show and no go, it builds muscle mass that's as strong as it looks. It's very satisfying lying on the chiropractor's table and hearing him complain about having to actually work for his money when I come in, because my back is so thick. :)

Oakland CA
Username hidden
(84 posts)
Avoiding soreness:

1) eat enough (particularly enough protein) to support your activites 2) hydrate...drink a LOT of water 3) get quality sleep 4) post-workout stretching, foam rolling, self myofascial release, etc.

I occasionally have debilitating soreness a day or so after training (to the point that walking is a serious problem). Inevitably, it can be traced to me either being dehydrated or having some nutritional deficiency; either not enough calories, not enough protein, or being short on something like taurine, glutamine, magnesium, D3, or zinc. On really, really bad days (e.g., during or right after competition), I will usually need 2-6 containers of Pedialyte to get to a point where I can function again.

I'm not a fan of bodypart splits like the one you propose. If you're going to split like that, I prefer working opposing muscle groups. I.e., if you're going to work your pecs on one day, I'd also recommend working your posterior, lateral, and anterior delts, traps, and lats the same day. Same thing with arms: if you're going to work biceps (or triceps), it's important to work the opposing group as well -- triceps or biceps. Working back/glute/hams? Also work abs, hips, and quads the same day.

Of course, I'm not a bodybuilder, I'm a powerlifter, so I'm not training for aesthetics. I train for pure brute strength. However, training a muscle group without training the opposing group(s) will tend to create both aesthetic and functional imbalances over time, and you'll end up in more pain because you'll wind up shortening and/or atrophying the unworked opposing groups and you'll grow a nice garden of trigger points throughout the unworked groups that may take something more than estim or foam rolling to eliminate (e.g., rolfing, ART).

Oakland CA
Username hidden
(84 posts)
Depends on your fitness goal. If you are body building (for posing) then maximizing bulk requires a different type of work than when you are looking for functional fitness. One thing to remember, real life uses all your muscles. Only way to truly isolate muscle grouping like that is with machines which doesn't represent how bodies move against gravity. Serious muscle training is done with free weights/bars. Good lifting and resistence training requires core and balance meaning your whole body will be engaged in one form or another. And rest days are mandatory for recovery (i.e. work 2 days, rest 1; or work 3 days, rest 1). Highly recommend avoiding "HOT" after a tough workout. When you work hard enough to microtear muscle fibers, the heat will increase capillary bleeding and fill spaces leading to internal "bruising" and that Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) you get the next day. Seriously, try "COLD" showers after and see if that helps.

Las Vegas NV
Username hidden
(972 posts)
It's important to work out one group a day to optimize the benefit. We did arms today. Tomorrow is legs. Wednesday off. Thursday will be shoulders and Friday, chest and back. We squeeze in 2 ab workouts too.

Westminster MA
Username hidden
(81 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 16   End
TOPIC: 1 muscle group a day