The Big 3 Auto Companies : Swingers Discussion 118486
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsBusinessThe Big 3 Auto Companies
TOPIC: The Big 3 Auto Companies
Created by: twofer The original post for this thread was deleted.
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 13   End
User Details are only visible to members.
That is not bad at all. Where I live cable is not available. We would have to get a dish. Basic rate (standard channels- but to get the local news you have to have the enhanced package-- ugh) of $50 a month and that is not including the initial installation costs.

Lansing MI
Username hidden
(1624 posts)
Rings, I hate watching TV too, but our internet service is cable and you have to get one to get the other. The cost balances because we use a voip phone service and it only costs us $77.00 a year.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19241 posts)
Rdy2...

Yes, we have bunny ears. For us we do not watch that much tv to make it worth us to get cable or dish but we would like to watch the news now and again.

Lansing MI
Username hidden
(1624 posts)
If the gov't has all this money to bail out companies then why shouldn't I get DTV convertor for free.

Lansing MI
Username hidden
(1624 posts)
Airlines is a service industry where you are not buying someTHING to keep for years that needs repairs and maintance. Apples and oranges. I could care less if I buy a $300 airline ticket and the airline goes out of business before my flight. However, an automaker going out out of business on my $45,000 new car is totally different.

Case in point... we presently own a 1-year-old Chrysler 300 that we plan on trading in 2 years for a new car. We love our 300, but there is no way I'm spending $40,000 on a new car at Chrysler if I think there is a hint of them going out of business. I'll take my $40,000+ to BMW or Mercedes where I know they will be in business.

Mountain Ranch CA
Username hidden
(8696 posts)
See, I don't buy the psychological argument at all. If you look at how many airlines have been through Chapter 11 in the last decade, do people stop booking airline reservations every time an airline goes into bankruptcy? In fact, how many consumers even know which airlines are or have been in bankruptcy? And I don't see the lines for big-screen TVs at Circuit City getting any shorter because they're in bankruptcy.

Bankruptcy is completely transparent to the consumer. It's purely a legal matter, and if anything, it's a guarantee that the business will continue in a reorganized form. Just giving them money is a guarantee of nothing except kicking the can a little farther down the street.

But even if you buy the psychological argument, is being bankrupt any more harmful to the consumer's view of you than going on national TV and saying, "We don't have enough money to get through the month?"

Tupelo MS
Username hidden
(7 posts)
Why is Chapter 11 not the greatest alternative? It's really only a psychological issue for their customers. Let's say you are ready to shop for a car 6 months from now. You are ready to invest $45,000 in your car. Do you go to the automaker in Chapter 11 for your car, taking the chance in 2 years when you need warranty work done that he hasn't slide on into Chapter 7? Government bridge loan to a "proven viable" automaker sounds better than filing Chapter 11.

Mountain Ranch CA
Username hidden
(8696 posts)
And they're not abusing the taxpayers by asking for a handout? This kind of thing is exactly what Chapter 11 was designed for. It may not be optimal, and no company wants to be in bankruptcy, but it's certainly better than the Congress pouring our money down a rat hole.

Tupelo MS
Username hidden
(7 posts)
It doesn't really matter what they do with the car. You are giving them an opportunity and they will have the freedom to take advantage of it or squander it. Either way, they will be putting money back into the economy and the car company will make a car sale, which is what they are in business to do.

Gainesville FL
Username hidden
(1862 posts)
*Where is the government going to get the money to buy all these cars to give to the needy?

Where are they getting the money for all these bailouts? They would do this instead of a direct bailout to the company.

*Hmmm how would the government insure that they are indeed using them to get to work?

Wouldn't need to. A few would abuse the system, but remember, the government is buying the cars from the car companies, so they are still being helped out.

*Where would the "needy" get money for gas?"

They would then have a job and could afford gas.

*The reliability of the American cars sucks, who's flipping the bill for repairing them?

The reliability isn't that bad. Better than no transportation at all.

I'm against all bailouts, but if they are going to do it, I would rather it directly help individuals rather than corporations.

Gainesville FL
Username hidden
(1862 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 13   End
TOPIC: The Big 3 Auto Companies