Honesty or Get the Job : Swingers Discussion 131004
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsBusinessHonesty or Get the Job
TOPIC: Honesty or Get the Job
Created by: sparkyandaj The original post for this thread was deleted.
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 10 
User Details are only visible to members.
I agree with all the posters following mine. As to the reply about the bait-and-switch, I also agree. I NEVER compromised my ethics to get a contract, I just changed my method of delivery or price to meet the needs of the customer and better my competition. I was suggesting that, assuming the market is price driven) he find a different way to bring the customer in, not deliver shoddy workmanship. If the competition is underbidding and later breaking the bid then maybe he needs to work harder at be more aggressive in his contracting language in a way that will make the customer put the same requirements in for the other bidders. I used to GIVE my customers the questions they needed to be asking ALL their potential suppliers. Sometimes they need to be taught how to buy your product! In the case where a buyer has to go to his boss to justify his buying decision you need to give him the words to say that will make his decision to use YOU instead of a lower bid. Sales is an art lost on many tradesman. They are good at what they do, but the "Art of the deal" needs to be a part of any successful businessman's tool kit.

Danbury WI
Username hidden
(2 posts)
Nothing wrong here with changing with the times either as with all things in life...business included. The OP was referring to pulling a classic bait-n-switch tactic of offering a lower price knowing that it was going to cost much more, then jacking up the price on an owner after the fact. Any small business that want's to pull that shit on me can kick fucking rocks and take a walk.

Littleton CO
Username hidden
(3974 posts)
That business practice/principle that you transcribed is a basic working model for any business large and small...that's a given. What I and others mentioned is taking advantage of others and ripping them off or close to thereof per the OP origional question. No one says don't make a profit above trading your valuble time for money...again a given. There are those out there would rather fail, regroup and start again rather than fucking someone else out of their money. Hence the reference with core principles and living with oneself with ones decisions in life.

Littleton CO
Username hidden
(3974 posts)
Well, I have a slightly different opinion than the rest of the commenters here. I owned a small business, and when the market changes you need to change the way you are doing business or you won't be in business! You have the advantage of being small, so you can change overnight without having to make decisions by committee like the big boys. The one thing you should not compromise is quality, but price is always negotiable. You can operate on 80% of revenue, you cannot on 0%. Ignoring the facts in a buyer's market is a fools game. Standing on principle until you're broke proves nothing.

Danbury WI
Username hidden
(2 posts)
I think you should stay true to your work ethic. Because when the tides turn you'll still have your reputation. Just have some patience and know that there are dishonest peoples out there and that to be remembered as being honest, good at what you do, reliable, dependable and all that will be what not only keep you paid but let you sleep well at night just relax.

Ft Washington MD
Username hidden
(6 posts)
I'm in the trades and it's tough as hell right now, so I understand your currant situation. Good rule of thumb which falls in line with the advice by these fine folk here below me...stay true with yourself and keep your core principles, even if you have to lower your standard of living(personal experience talking) to scratch, survive and eek out a living. Best of luck to you bra!

Littleton CO
Username hidden
(3974 posts)
Hang tough cowboy, it's slowly turning the corner and getting better.

Buford GA
Username hidden
(3898 posts)
thats one reason were here!! Unload any time...

Myerstown PA
Username hidden
(4985 posts)
hang on to your principles. Read about Charles Schwabb. My son is doing great in his small business, ready to expand, and keeps his quality VERY high. Good luck to you and keep your integrity...it's a rapidly declining thing in our society lately.

San Antonio TX
Username hidden
(5605 posts)
Hold true to your good work ethic!! I understand things are slow right now, believe me I know I have seen it with my job as well ( I am just a waitress but our tips have been 1/2 or less for months now)and no way am I compairing my job to yours as Gary does some of the electrical with his job and I know how tough it can be....but I can see the tough times. I have regular customers tell me they wish they could tip like they used to they just cant afford to. They pass on to my boss complaments on my service and job well done, they also tell him we will make it up to the girls when the money is better..... we don't expect it we just give the same if not better service. Like you we are happy to have a job and some customers, good tips or not at least were working...anyway sorry to stray.... stick to your guns, it will turn around :) And heck if the other peeps make mistakes( hopefully not fatal ones) maybe you will get the "clean up jobs"

Good luck, keep your chin up!!

Trish

Myerstown PA
Username hidden
(4985 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 10 
TOPIC: Honesty or Get the Job