Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions B.B.W. Surgery
TOPIC: Surgery
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   11 to 20 of 26   End
User Details are only visible to members.
SlG...

An excellent question. It turns out there there are all sorts of digestive backup systems. In fact, it's possible to perform a complete excision of the stomach ("total gastrectomy with esophaojejunostomy" is the surgical lingo--operation performed for stomach cancers and unctrollable stomach bleeding) and have folks survive, albeit losing weight to a much lower "set point".

The strategies in metabolic surgery are two: (a) make the stomach "feel full" but putting on a band or one of the older stapling procedures; and

(b) "short-circuiting" (typically a Roux-en-Y procedure) much of the small intestine where food is digested and sugar and fats are liberated.

Some procedures combine the two strategies.

The bottom line is that the surgical procedure represent an attempt to tune both satiety (that "full" feeling) and effectiveness of calorie extraction from foods ingested. Neither procedure really addresses the core issue of why we continue to eat when the nutrients are not needed. That's a much harder challenge.

Hope this is clear.

Regards...

Atlanta GA
Username hidden
(439 posts)
I am just curious if the stomach is bypassed what does this do to the intestines? Doesnt the food need to be broken down by acids and turned and churned up a bit before entering the intestine?

Augusta NJ
Username hidden
(16055 posts)
Notes on metabolic surgery...

Surgery aimed at addressing obesity is still in its infancy. Irrespective of the procedure selected, one needs to recognize that the effects of the procedure are far-reaching and not always the results desired. The extensive psychiatric evaluation and preparation is aimed at trying to ensure that the patient achieves the desired result.

Surgery needs to be considered a last resort, not an easy choice. It is intended to be life-saving not lifestyle-promoting. The preparation involves extensive consultation with a dietitian, and with that preparation it's worth reading David Kessler's book, "The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite". There, he explains how the presentation of sugar, fat and salt in most foods creates a desire for more sugar, fat and salt. The metabolic surgery will not change that desire, only temporarily interrupt the ability to satisfy that desire. It is for this reason that so many patients who have undergone metabolic surgery fail to achieve the long-lasting results desired.

Best wishes to all of you who are embarking on the surgical solution. Just remember that surgery has to be in the context of much more.

Atlanta GA
Username hidden
(439 posts)
well what youre going thru is no surprise to me--ive been fighting my insurance co for over 2 years-finally after several letters from my family doctor-and my cardiac doctor(i had some health issues years ago)-they have finally said yes-as long as i go thru these classes-of witch-between the pysch's-the doctors-the nutruitional's-and everbody else--they do put you thru the ringer-im actully trying to get final approval for the new sleeve-type surgery-but the ins co hasnt decided on that.If not i will at least get the normal by-pass instead of the band.

Germansville PA
Username hidden
(67 posts)
good deal!!

Username hidden
(23991 posts)
one of the great things that the 6 month classes do-is that we do meet all of the time with nutritionists-doctors-even past patients that have been thru it-it really is re-teaching your mind on what is to come .

Germansville PA
Username hidden
(67 posts)
My biggest advice to you is that you see a nutritionist and learn to eat healthy. What some gastric patients do is they think of bypass almost as a cheat method...like a bulimic in a sense. Its like omg I have found this magic ticket, I can eat and still lose weight. But the human body is amazing and if one overeats or eats improperly it will gain. I would see a nutritionist who will help you on this. Plus, since you will not be able to eat as much in regard to food volume...you are going to risk malnutrition. It is essential that you make every bite count in regard to your nutrition.

Username hidden
(23991 posts)
Thank you all for your responses-i think the biggest thing i have learned from everybody-is to listen to the doctor-and do what he says!-My surgery will be sometime in the spring-so by this time next year-i hope to be well on the way.

Germansville PA
Username hidden
(67 posts)
i the hubby had the surgery this last march and have lost 105 lbs. As for the loose skin, if you excersise while you loose its wont be as bad. The body is definatly soft in the tummy and the areas where there was a lot of fat, but excersizing will help a lot. As for the health benefits, i no longer have to take any perscription meds for diabetes hi blood pressure or cholesteral. I do have to take a multi vitamin and calcium supplement but so far my wife and i are both very happy that i had the surgery!!

Wayland MI
Username hidden
(76 posts)
My surgery is coming up this Tuesday. Everyone of my lifestyle friends are excited for me. It seems almost everyone I tell knows someone who has had it done. The men who I play with have expressed their concern for my safety during and after, but all support me. I've talk to a few women who have had it done and admit to having some body image issues while losing the weight, because of sagging skin or shrinking breast, but it's all worth it in the end. My guy friends just hope I keep my butt, lol. Good luck with your journey.

Albuquerque NM
Username hidden
(4 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   11 to 20 of 26   End
TOPIC: Surgery