Are overweight people more extroverted : Swingers Discussion 126318
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsB.B.W.Are overweight people more extroverted
TOPIC: Are overweight people more extroverted
Created by: robvalsatx The original post for this thread was deleted.
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 12   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Good observations. In the world of comedy, you find that to be quite the case, as it's "easier" to make fun of yourself before someone else gets the chance to do so.

I've seen that happen as well, with children as well as with adults.

Gina

San Antonio TX

Username hidden
(5605 posts)
It would be interesting to do this study on children. My personal belief is that obese people sometimes develop an extroverted personality as a means of hiding their discomfort. When I observe obese children, they are unwilling/unable to participate in many of the same activities as their peers. When children can't comfortably sit down on the floor with their classmates, they have to find some way to cope. Some of them learn to make jokes--often at their own expense. Then again there are some people who will be extroverted (or shy) no matter what their size.

Hubby has started posting too.... Guess I have to sign! J

Shippensburg PA

Username hidden
(1794 posts)
Understood. Thanks for clearing that up.

Gina.

San Antonio TX

Username hidden
(5605 posts)
M, we are actually pretty much on the same page with this subject. We just use different ways to get the point across. I have, from day one, admired and respected your expertise in this area, and that fact that you back it up with your own life.

But, I will have to say that some of your methods do not get your point across to people who otherwise need it. What happens when you're abrupt or try to guilt or shame people into doing what is best for them, is that they rebel and/or get defensive. I think that's some of the reasons for original posts such as this one. I'm not sure it was a method to say that fat people are ok with being fat. My social self, and any extroversion (?) is due to my enjoyment of talking to people, of being a "people person" and not that I am ok with being fat, nor do I find my fatness attractive or healthy. I simply like talking to people, and don't really think about whether or not they would accept talking to me based upon my weight. Talking, not having sex or pursuing a relationship. I talk to pretty much anyone in a social setting. Is that staying on topic now? All I can do is post my own experiences and opinions.

Please know that when someone admonishes me about my weight, etc., I, unfortunately, sometimes turn into that little 2-year old emotionally. You know, the one when his mother says, "eat your vegetables, they're good for you," automatically responds with a loud "no!" even though he may, indeed, like vegetables.

It's that way whenever anyone tries to tell an overweight/obese person what to do. We do know what to do. There are certain triggers for everyone in response to being self-motivated. For me, it's real, solid, written information. When I read something, it tends to kick my butt into gear again. I'm lazy. I need jump starts.

Those do not come from any type of shame, guilt or embarrassment. Those things just make me want to run (well, not run...remember, I'm lazy! lol) for the chips. BUT what does work for me are articles like the one I'm reading right now.

I will post some of my findings, and what I'm doing with them, in another thread, but please just realize that I wasn't on the attack. I truly believe that there are other ways of getting your points through more effectively in the BBW threads, and that's more what I was trying to get across.

As far as being introverted or extroverted, I believe that's more a person's nature than having anything to do with weight. I think sometimes a person will also hide behind his/her weight in avoidance of people. People hide behind all sorts of masks and faces, and weight is only one factor in socializing or not.

Gina

San Antonio TX

Username hidden
(5605 posts)
let's go back to the OP please, and note that this will just lead to the same infighting as all the other posts like this. I, for one, am tired of it, it doesn't get anyone anywhere, and it's pointless. You are not going to change anyone by berating them or similar, so maybe we can agree that some people who want help with weight issues will seek out advice, and others who don't want help, well...just leave them alone and stop trying.

We have friends who are trying to guilt their son into healthier eating and all it does is "push" him towards more food. I don't know why, but that tends to be the dynamic. It's unfortunate.

If I'm harsh, it's because I'm sick, but I still stand by my request to just leave it alone and let the threads go in the direction that they're headed, for what it's worth, and save yourself some trouble trying to change people who do not want/need/attempt change.

I like to read the threads, even the negative ones, but I can honestly say I'm tired that they all tend to end up as admonishments about obesity. We'll get there when we want to get there, and there's not much anyone else can do about that, except if asked for help. That's true for anything I guess.

When I am ready to get weight off, I'll do it. I know what to do, it's a matter of choosing to do so. If I need help, I know where to go for it as well.

Other than that, what is really gained by the put-downs, real, obvious, or subtle and "hidden?" For me, I'm tired of reading them. But I can't seem to find a thread on here that is free of them.

So still I write.

Gina

San Antonio TX

Username hidden
(5605 posts)
It seems like some post have been deleted.

I am a shy person and have been shy most of my life, when I was very overweight and normal weight shyness is just me. Now that I am getting older I don't like being shy and I hope to overcome this shy bug that I have. My dream is to one day be the life of the party LOL

Mrs. Voya

Detroit MI

Username hidden
(418 posts)
We know (:

Fort Worth TX

Username hidden
(8589 posts)
I read the title and laughed. I didn't need to read where this thread went from there. Who fricken cares about stereotyping a person because of how they look. We are all different thankfully. Big, thin, black, white, red, 1 legged, short, tall, introverted, extroverted, ect, ect, ect... Just seems shallow to say a certain body type is anything. I tend to look at personalities, not looks. I have to know that person personally to be able to say anything about how they are. Just because Mary is one way, does not mean that Tina is a clone because they have the same shape. Enjoy cause this is a dead issue IMO.

Fort Worth TX

Username hidden
(8589 posts)
And also, thin people are not "competitive". I only compete with myself, not the other women in the room in regard to weight. Again, this is a stereotype that thin people live with...the belief that we are vain, aloof and competitive. Not true at all, don't judge all books by their cover. On Friday at the gym we were there and in walks a couple, very "hippie" college types, covered in tats. I won't lie, my initial impression was not good. I have to tell you, they turned out to be the friendliest people we have met there yet. On the ellipticals we all talked and had a great time. So never judge someone until you meet them, thin or not.

San Marcos TX

Username hidden
(23960 posts)
I've found that larger people are often more convertible in their own skin, and thus are less worried about what people think about them. this makes them more friendly and less competitive. for many people that makes them seem more extrovert (perhaps even by definite)."

I can only speak for myself. But 3 years ago I was BBW myself and I can tell you that for myself I was NEVER comfortable in my own skin heavy. Perhaps it is because up until I had my daughter I was pretty much always slim or whatever...but I always knew that being heavy was not who I am. I think some people are comfortable, yes. But the fact that Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers earn billions every year tells me that no, most people who are heavy are not comfortable with that state...but it is hard losing large amounts of weight. Anyone who ever tells you losing weight is easy is lying. It takes dedication, discipline and the ability to push past frustration. But as for myself, I was NEVER comfortable looking into the mirror and seeing a heavy woman look back at me. I am not saying there is anything wrong with BBW mind you but that was just me.

San Marcos TX

Username hidden
(23960 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 12   End
TOPIC: Are overweight people more extroverted